Tuesday 21 August 2012

D is for Daffodils, Dogs, and Ducks

Alright, I admit it - I am a little addicted to alliteration!* That is, I love the sound of a string of words starting with the same letter or sound. So, on this delightful day - damp, but with spring about to slip into sight (oh, that was a bad one!) -  I couldn't resist the opportunity for another fix with today's post title.

D is for Daffodil 


Last week I completed ten days of hard labour - picking, bunching  and selling daffodils and jonquils on a roadside stall.

 I did it for our neighbours while they were away on holiday (thankfully they are home again now), and these pics celebrate my last day of bunching.

It was satisfying work, especially when the honesty box was honestly filled with coins by my customers (or IOUs left). I have to say, though, that if I doubted the doctrine of the depravity of man beforehand, this experience confirmed its truth. So disappointing it was to have many bunches taken without payment, but on the bright side it could have been worse - most did pay. So all in all, being a flower lady for a short time was a bit of fun.


D is for Dog 

I don't know why it's taken me so long to make a dog, but Digger insisted on being born, so here he is. He is a busy little chap, and longs to be out, digging for bones or other archeological treasures.

D is also for Duck

Dennis the Dancing Duck is the result of a lifelong affection for ducks and especially a song my brother Jon Robinson recently wrote, called The Dancing Duck. I'd love to share the song here, but don't know how to upload it. However, if you would like to hear it I'd be glad to email it to you on request.

Dennis and Digger are great mates, and in my next post I will tell you the tale of these two intrepid excavators.

*Note:  alliteration |is the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words. 



8 comments:

  1. Hi Kayzy,

    You have an ally in your love for alliteration. I too am tempted by two or more letters alike.

    All that aside, I must say your duck is especially delightful!

    ~ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginger,
    I've found a kindred spirit in alliteration - it's fun isn't it! Dennis quacked with pleasure at your comment, and is very pleased with himself. His maker thanks you.
    Hugs,
    Kayzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Dennis the Dancing Duck pick Daffodills Down the Damp
    Lane!!!!!! Don't get me going....
    Love the flowers and the animals.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent exercise of extraordinary ability, Kay! (And thank you).
    Hugs, Kayzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a darling dancing duck and delightful daffodills. Digger is a darling and this post does do Ds justice.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maddy, your comment made me chuckle and challenged me to keep collecting 'c' words. But I think I'll give in and go to bed instead. Thanks for joining in the fun,
      Hugs, Kayzy

      Delete
  6. I love Dennis! Such a fun little guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn - for your comment, and for joining my blog as a follower - so encouraging!
      Hugs,
      Kayzy

      Delete

So glad you dropped in! We love friends to visit, so please come again soon.